Monday, April 4, 2011

Another Book Review

     I am feeling much better today.  I spent most of the weekend in bed getting better and I am finally starting to feel normal again.  I have a lot of ideas floating around in my head right now for my new story.  I am hoping to get a lot of it down on paper this week.  I am much more excited about this idea than I ever was about my original idea, so I am going to focus on developing this short story first, then get back to the novel. 
     I managed to get to the gym on Saturday for 4 miles on the treadmill and around 5 on the spin bike.  I was also able to read A Land Of Ash and so I thought I would give you all my review.

Title:
A Land Of Ash
Author: David Dalglish, David McAfee, Daniel Arenson, John Fitch V, Michael Crane, Robert Duperre
Price on Amazon:
.99 cents
Number of Stars: 5 out of 5 stars

     This is a collection of short stories about the aftermath of the Yellowstone Caldera erupting.  The first few stories are about different people trying to get somewhere safe or preparing for their inevitable death.  "Shelter" by David Dalglish was a bit of a tear jerker.  Another one from this collection that I really enjoyed was "Secret Mission"  Also by David Dalglish.  This one was totally heartbreaking and really makes you think about things.  One that wasn't quite so sad was "The One That Matters" by Robert Duperre, it's about a hero of sorts and a little lighter than some of the other stories in the collection.

     I was able to connect with many of the characters in these stories and enjoyed most of them.  I found this little collection to be really thought provoking.  I found myself asking questions that had never occured to me before, like what would I do in that situation?  I really enjoyed the style of the different authors.  I felt like they did a good job of working together to make a cohesive story.  This collection could almost read like a novel instead of several seperate short stories.

     I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars because I really enjoyed it, I would recommend it to anybody who is a fan of the horror genre, but it is also great for someone who is looking for a really thought provoking read.  This is definately a dark book without so much of a happy ending, but it was a great book anyway.

     That's all I've got for today, I'm off to work on my story.  I will see you all on Wednesday.

Until Then,
SJ Hanson

No comments:

Post a Comment