Friday, March 25, 2011

Great Week So Far

     It has been a pretty great week so far.  On Tuesday I ran 4 really slow miles on the treadmill because I was still pretty sore from my race on Saturday.  Wednesday was 3 miles on the treadmill and 6 on the stationary bike.  Yesterday was 7 miles on the treadmill, which is my long run for the week.  I decided that I really seem to lack motivation on the weekends, so my long run needs to be during the week.  I am getting really excited because it is finally above freezing outside, so I should be able to start running outside again soon.  This morning I had a water aerobics class which was fun, but not as challenging as I would have liked.
     On the writing front, I got to my 15,000 word goal, and got one character back story written and one other started.  I've spent a lot of time this week reading about making more in depth characters.  I'm having a hard time with my character's emotions.  I know what I want my story to be about, but I am having a difficult time making it emotional enough.  So, I will continue to work on character back story and development over the weekend, and attempt to have 17,500 words written by Monday.

     So, now I would like to review one of the books I just finished reading.

Title:
Gods Tomorrow
Author:
Aaron Pogue
Price on Amazon:
.99 cents
Number of Stars: 5 out of 5 Stars

     This book was really fun.  It is set in a near future world where an all knowing system called Hathor is able to provide surveillance and is supposed to be able to see crime happening and bring those responsible to justice.  But, there are people called ghosts, that have somehow managed to hide from Hathor, and they are criminals.  Katie Pratt, the main character, has gotten a job as one of the special agents that tries to find these ghosts.  She is soon given the case a young women who was murdered in downtown Little Rock.  When she checks with Hathor she discovers that the record of the crime is blacked out.  This is new, because no ghost has been able to "blackout" Hathor before.  The killer must be found before he can blind Hathor and possibly destroy the entire system.

     One reason that I really liked this one was because it was set in a place that really could be our future.  The characters were very well thought out, I found myself rooting for many of the characters, but especially Katie.  I can easily identify with her struggle to prove herself to her male coworkers.  This story was very fast paced, everytime I went to put the book down, I couldn't because I just needed to know what happened next.  I will definately be reading the next one.  I would recommend this title to anyone who likes Sci-fi, thrillers, mysteries or anything in between.  A great read for only .99 cents.

That's all I have for today, I will be back again on Monday.  I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend.

Until Then,
SJ Hanson
    

1 comment:

  1. Oh, do I ever hear you on the lacking-motivation-on-the-weekends bit! I can never seem to get myself to the gym on those days.

    Good luck with the writing, and I hope you meet your goal today. And thanks for the book info. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete